Rao Family Meals of Montgomery
Home-delivered meals are available to adults 60 years and older who meet eligibility criteria (No income-eligibility requirements). Once determined eligible, after successful completion of an assessment, balanced meals will be delivered to your home daily, Monday – Friday. Please contact our office for eligibility screening and more information.
Hot, noon meals are provided at several locations throughout the county to adults 60 years and older and their spouses (regardless of spouse age). A simple registration form must be completed and there are no income-eligibility requirements. Contact our office one day prior to reserve a meal. Cafés are located at 52 Division St., Amsterdam; 55 Montgomery St., Canajoharie; and 16 Washington Ave., Saint Johnsville. Cafés are open Monday – Friday from 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. Pandemic has temporarily altered some services, call OFA for more information at 518-843-2300.
Expanded In-home Services for Elderly People (EISEP)
Help at home with bathing, dressing, shopping, laundry, and cleaning. This cost-sharing program is sliding-fee scale based on monthly income. Persons eligible for Medicaid cannot utilize EISEP but can receive this type of service through the Department of Social Services.
Montgomery County NY Connects
- A joint initiative between the Montgomery County – Office for Aging, Inc. and the Montgomery County Department of Social Services. NY Connects is endorsed and supported by New York State Office for the Aging in collaboration with the New York State Department of Health.
- Provides easy access to Long-Term Care (LTC) for all disabled adults, children, and for older citizens needing assistance.
- Point of entry for reliable information, referral, and assistance for long-term care services.
- Assistance navigating the overwhelming long-term care system by identifying the best available options for you and your loved ones.
- Connects people with agencies and service providers that can best meet their individual needs.
Health Insurance Information, Counseling and Assistance Program (HIICAP)
Information about Medicare parts A, B, C, and D, Medigap, EPIC prescription assistance, low-income subsidy programs, and claims assistance. By appointment only.
- Consultation with an elder law attorney for help with entitlement programs such as Medicaid or Supplemental Security Income (SSI), and landlord/tenant issues.
- Assistance with Powers of Attorney (POAs), healthcare proxies and wills for those who do not already have them. By appointment only.
OFA Senior Transport
Utilizes volunteers to provide rides to nonemergency medical appointments and weekly grocery shopping. Local and out-of-town appointments are available and all rides are based on driver availability.
- Medical appointments include: office visits, lab work, dental/optical and outpatient procedures
- Grocery shopping service is offered weekly to your favorite store on Rt. 30 in Amsterdam and by appointment in other areas of the county. (Weekly grocery shopping currently on hold.)
- Free service offered to residents of Montgomery County. A $3.00 voluntary contribution is suggested per ride and will help us to continue and possibly expand this program. Our volunteer drivers are reimbursed for their mileage and tipping is appreciated, but not required. No one will be denied service due to inability to contribute. Statements are mailed monthly and voluntary contributions should be sent to OFA rather than given to drivers.
- Note: Parking fees/tolls are the responsibility of client and are due at time of ride.
- Must be 60 years or older
- Must reside within Montgomery County
- Must not be Medicaid eligible for medical transport
- Must not have mobility issues (Client is able to get in and out of home and vehicle unassisted)
- Initial sign up is easy and can be done by mail
- Completed paperwork must be received prior to scheduling
- At least seven days’ notice is required for scheduling
- Please notify OFA as soon as possible of appointment changes
- Available for adults 60 years and older
- Provides vouchers for a portion or sometimes the complete cost of transportation to medical appointments
SNAP-Ed NY (Formerly SHINE, Seniors’ Health Improvement and Nutrition Education)
- SHINE has transitioned to SNAP-Ed New York for Fulton, Herkimer and Montgomery Counties. SNAP-Ed NY continues to serve older adults 60 years and older.
- Learn tips and tricks and get the tools you need to make nutritious food choices within a limited budget and help you achieve a physically active lifestyle.
- Fun, interactive community workshops at locations such as senior centers, public housing, places of worship, libraries, and meal sites. Currently available in a conference call format to adhere to social distancing protocols.
- In person, one-on-one nutrition education. Currently available by phone during COVID-19 pandemic.
- Short, educational video clips available on the SNAP-Ed NY Facebook page
- For more information, check out snapedny.org.
Cupboard of Kindness Food Pantry
Provides adults 60 years and older with a two-to-three-day supply of food, paper products, toiletries, pet food, and supplies once a month.
United Methodist Church
347 Golf Course Rd., Amsterdam
9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., 2nd and 4th Friday of each month
Fort Plain Senior Center
204 Canal St., Fort Plain
12:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m., 2nd and 4th Friday of each month
*Due to the increasing demand, food pantry hours are strictly enforced—no exceptions.
Are you looking to make a difference in the community?
The Montgomery County Office for Aging, Inc. has an immediate need for VOLUNTEERS for helping in the kitchen and to deliver meals for the Meals of Montgomery home-delivered meal program!!!
Volunteers are needed to assist in the kitchen and for small delivery routes throughout the county. Many require less than 10 miles of driving per day. Volunteers would deliver meals to home bound seniors midday Monday thru Friday.
If you or anyone you know is interested, please contact the Montgomery County Office for Aging, Inc. at 843-2300.
Montgomery County Office for Aging, Inc. is a not-for-profit 501 (c)(3) . Funding made possible by USAOA, NYSOFA, Montgomery County and private donations.