- This event has passed.
Free Narcan training to be held at St. Ann’s Episcopal Church
July 24, 2018 @ 6:30 am - 8:00 pm
Responding to Opioid Overdose: State Targeted Response
Naloxone has been fundamental in the efforts to decrease rates of fatal overdoses. This training teaches first responders, likely opioid overdose witnesses and community members to understand, recognize, respond to and reverse suspected opioid overdoses using naloxone. Participants will learn ways to obtain free or low-cost naloxone for personal use. This training is modeled after the evidence-based SAMHSA Opioid Overdose Prevention Toolkit.
Training objectives include:
- to increase understanding and awareness of fatal overdoses related to opioids and the impact within the community
- to identify risk factors for an overdose
- to be able to recognize a suspected overdose
- to be able to identify the five essential steps for first responders as outlined in the SAMHSA Opioid Overdose Prevention Toolkit in the event of an overdose
- to be able to correctly use naloxone to save lives
- to understand how to access the Naloxone Co-payment Assistance Program (NCAP) to obtain free or low-cost naloxone.
Who Should Attend:
This interactive training is tailored for first responders or other likely witnesses to an opioid overdose.
- to become part of the solution to solving the opioid issue in the community
- to learn how to save a life during an overdose situation
- to receive education on crucial information related to opioids and the surrounding community
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) awarded states grants as part of the State Targeted Response (STR) to the opioid crisis. One of New York State’s initiatives as part of the grant focuses on addressing opioid overdose related fatalities in counties showing very high rates of overdose deaths and emergency department visits related to opioid use disorder. This initiative involves training thousands of first responders and other likely witnesses in these counties.
Locations and Date(s):
Tuesday, July 24, 2018 6:30 – 8:00 PM
St. Ann’s Episcopal Church
37 Division Street Amsterdam, NY 12010
For more information and to register today, contact:
Fr. Neal Longe
To schedule a training, contact: